These are great in the morning for a quick and healthy breakfast.
There is a lot of information on the internet about bran, as well as fiber for children, if you want to learn more about this topic.
I do not specify calories, nutritional info as I often change out ingredients based on what I have on hand, which makes life easier.
• 1 ½ C. whole wheat pastry flour (or ¾ C. organic rolled oats and ¾ C. of organic all-purpose flour – regular or gluten free).
• 1 ½ C. oat bran (regular or gluten free).
• 1 tsp. baking soda.
• 2 tsp. cinnamon.
• 1 tsp. sea salt.
• 2 ripe bananas mashed and 1 C. applesauce or 1 can of pumpkin or pumpkin pie mix. Our personal favorite is the pumpkin!
• 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp. water (or 2 eggs).
• 2 Tbsp. melted oil (you choose – coconut oil, hemp seed oil, or another oil).
• ½ C. maple syrup or regular cane sugar.
• 2 tsp. vanilla extract
• ½ C. grated carrots
Raisins and walnuts optional.
Sprinkle of sugar on top before baking.
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Line muffin tin with paper or silicone liners or coat well with cooking spray.
3. Make flaxseed egg by stirring flaxseed with 3 Tbsp. of water in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Combine flour, oat bran, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
5. Mash bananas in a bowl and add flaxseed or egg, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, carrots.
6. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
7. Mix in raisins or walnuts if you choose.
8. Fill each muffin cup to the top and sprinkle any topping you choose. I sprinkle a little bit of cane sugar on top.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a muffin.
10. Remove from oven and let cool completely before enjoying.
Ta-daaaah! How pretty!